What is the word for the slim, vertical topping on a dome?

...or a tower?

I have a feeling I did use to know it, but it's completely gone from my mind. Possibly, though, I never knew it in English and just in my native Polish - where it's called "iglica"...

I mean the (usually) mast-like structure, or (sometimes) simply a very thin part of the pointed dome. Not a lantern. Not a spire, either, I think.

Like the thing on top of this but also the tapered pyramid like topping here.

  • entangledbank

    Senior Member
    English - South-East England
    A finial? That's the upright decorative part on a flagstaff; it might apply to other structures, I'm not sure.
    < Previous | Next >