What is this name in English? [biscuit/cookie]

< Previous | Next >
  • natkretep

    Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    It looks like a biscuit assortment. Some of them will have more specific names. Some of them appear to be chocolate covered biscuits, and a whole lot of them are sandwich biscuits. The ones filled with jam with holes in the centre appear to be Jammie Dodgers. See Wikipedia:
    Jammie Dodgers are a popular British biscuit, made from shortbread with a raspberry flavoured jam filling.
    Also note that I am using BrE labels. These would be cookies to AmE speakers, and there might be more specific AmE names too.


    English - England
    BE: I would call any one of them "a fancy biscuit" (see http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=659331) unless it had chocolate on it, in which case it would be "a chocolate biscuit."

    The other sort of biscuit is a plain biscuit, e.g. a digestive biscuit, a rich tea biscuit, a Nice biscuit.

    Like Natkretep, as a group they are "a biscuit assortment" and often sold in tins under that name, and, like cyperpedant also, each might have an individual name.


    Senior Member
    I agree that this is an American / British English distinction. For me, all of those are cookies, and I might just call the whole thing "an assortment of cookies." The three which have "windows" of jam in the middle are called linzer cookies.

    In American English, a biscuit is something else -- fluffy, crumbly, usually savory rolls that are NOT crunchy and are served with jam or gravy or other goodies. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biscuit#Variations_in_meaning
    < Previous | Next >