what is your opinion / What opinion do you have

< Previous | Next >

inglesapoyosj

Español Rioplatense / English
Hi WRPeople!!!

How y'all doing?

I want to know which of these structures can get to be considered grammatically appropriate. I leave them to your analysis :)

1. What do you think of George?
2. What is your opinion of George?
3. What opinion do you have of george?
4. What opinion does Geroge deserve of you?

PD: I'm pretty sure both options 1 & 2 are quite acceptable and correct. My doubt is wraped around number 3 & 4.

I hope you can help me solve this out.

As always, best of best! InglesApoyoSJ :) !!!

• inglesapoyosj

ThankS, sound-shift!

But I've got a question for you:

If we can say 'I have a bad opinion of George', ... why can we not say 'What opinion do you have of him?' or 'Do you have a bad opinion of him?' ?

So you say it's idiomatically 'unsounding' ... but is it grammatically incorrect?

sound shift

English - England
    No, "What opinion do you have of George?" is good grammar, but I would be surprised if I heard this question. People like brevity, so their preference goes to the shorter "What's your opinion of George?" and "What do you think of George?"

"Do you have a bad opinion of him?" is possible.

inglesapoyosj

OK, so now I get it. You say although it's technically grammatical, it sounds neither natural nor practical, did i get you?

What about 'What opinion does him deserve from you?' (I don't want to sound repetitive, just to know whether the sentence would be right if I changed the of with to).

< Previous | Next >