What is your understanding of?

FilippoC

Italian
Hi guys,

I don't know how to translate this question in a proper way: "What is your understanding of sport?"

I believe "Cos'è per te lo sport?" is too generic, while "Quanto bene conosci lo sport?" is far away from the literal translation.

Do you have any suggestion?

N.b.: there's no context, the question is part of a questionnaire.

• merse0

Italy - Italian
    "Qual'è la tua conoscenza dello sport?"
    Domanda strana in un questionario, molto generica. Conoscenza della storia, delle regole, dei personaggi campioni...
    Di quale contesto si tratta?
    A meno che non sia riferito a una specifica disciplina sportiva.

theartichoke

English - Canada
    Do the other questions on the questionnaire help at all to understand what's meant by "what is your understanding of....?" Technically speaking, I'd say it does mean "cos'è per te lo sport?" or "secondo te, cos'è lo sport?" but I can see how it might be an awkward phrasing of "how much do you know about sports (in general)?"

gettingby

Am. English
    Do the other questions on the questionnaire help at all to understand what's meant by "what is your understanding of....?" Technically speaking, I'd say it does mean "cos'è per te lo sport?" or "secondo te, cos'è lo sport?" but I can see how it might be an awkward phrasing of "how much do you know about sports (in general)?"
    I feel like we'd need to know more about the other questions on the questionnaire. If it covers all sorts of topics I, too, would vote for "quanto ne capisci di sport?"