what kind of a difference we want to make

greygoose

England, English
Hi all,

In reviewing the following sentence/translation, I'm just wondering if the French translator has understood the meaning of the sentence 'no matter what kind of difference we want to make as a company'

Does the French (notre entreprise tienne à se démarquer) mean to stand out rather than, make a difference?

Thanks for any comments you may have.

"But we also know that when it comes down to it—no matter what kind of a difference we want to make as a company, and no matter how much you share those values—if our food isn’t delicious and exciting, we’re not living up to our fullest potential."

"Mais dans le fond, peu importe que notre entreprise tienne à se démarquer ou à partager ses valeurs ; si nos produits alimentaires ne sont pas délicieux et séduisants, nous ne réalisons pas pleinement notre potentiel."

• Michelvar

quasimodo
    French from France
    Hi,

yes, "se démarquer" is correct for "make a difference".

But the translator obviously tried to find a short and elegant way to put it, therefore, there are some change in the meaning, but no bid deal (well, without the rest of the context, seems to me, no big deal).

I would have written : "... quelle que soit la façon dont notre entreprise cherche à se démarquer, et à quel point vous partagez ces valeurs, ...." which is not exactly the same.

greygoose

England, English
    Thank you both for your quick replies,

So "se démarquer" can mean to make a difference to others?

It may help to know that the same text says this earlier:

"Notre but est de faire avancer la cause de la planète et de ses habitants..."

Would 'faire avancer les choses' work? i.e:

"Mais dans le fond, peu importe la façon dont notre entreprise cherche à faire avancer les choses ou partager ses valeurs, si nos produits alimentaires ne sont pas délicieux et séduisants, nous ne réalisons pas pleinement notre potentiel."

Does this sound natural in French?

Last edited:

LART01

French-France
    Hello
    se démarquer = to be different

Regarding your sentence:
    From a grammar standpoint I believe you should repeat à before partager. You could write faire partager as well which is my opinion more idiomatic
    à faire avancer les choses ou à faire partager ses valeurs

I would also write réaliserons ( future tense) as we have a condition with si
    Should you want to keep the present tense write lorsque instead of si, then.

< Previous | Next >