what kind of twins is it

• HistofEng

USA Eng, Haitian-Creole
    Fraternal twins occur when two separate eggs are fertilized by two separate sperm cells. Depending of the sex chromosomes of the sperm cells this will result in two males, two females, or a male and female (like my mother and her brother).

Dimcl

Canadian English
    Twins of the same sex are called identical twins. When one is a girl and the other a boy, they are called fraternal twins.
    Actually, no. Identical twins are created by one egg, fertilized by one sperm, splitting into two embryos. Fraternal twins are, as HistofEng states, two eggs fertilized by two sperm.

mplsray

When twins are a boy and a girl, what do you call it? We call it "dragon and phenix twin." I wonder if this makes sense to you. Thanks.
    Male/female fraternal twins or male-female fraternal twins, a term used by scientists and also by others, I see, after having consulted Google. There appears to be no consensus about whether to use a slash or a hyphen.

TheAmzngTwinWndr

United States
    Identical twins, since they come from the same egg, look alike.
    Fraternal twins, since they come from seperate eggs, usually do not look alike, though they could look very similar.

tunaafi

English - British (Southern England)
    The expression 'pigeon pair' is used in some parts of the UK for boy/girl twins, though that expression is also used for boy/girl children of different ages if there are no other siblings.

Roxxxannne

English (northeastern US)
    (Reviving a very old thread)

I'd say "one of each":

My friend Jill just had twins, one of each.

More formally, I'd say "one of each gender". I love the dragon and phoenix expression though.:thumbsup::thumbsup::D
    Re gender and sex:
    My son-in-law, when announcing the birth of my first grandchild, told people that the baby's sex is male but we won't know the gender for sure for maybe 20 years or so.

tunaafi

English - British (Southern England)
    I agree, though 'dragon' is informally and humorously (?) used sometimes of a woman seen as formidable.

Husband: What time is the dragon arriving?
    Wife: Stop referring to my mother as 'the dragon'!

< Previous | Next >