what Latitude was, or Longitude either

moseen

Farsi
Hello everybody!
Which of the following sentences are correct?
1) Alice had not the slightest idea what Latitude was, or Longitude either.
2) Alice had not the slightest idea what Latitude or Longitude either was.
3) Alice had not the slightest idea what Latitude or Longitude was either.

• Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    In 1 the either applies to latitude and longitude. In 3 it applies to Alice and some previously mentioned person(s).

Uncle Jack

British English
    It is unlikely you actually mean #3 (which refers back to a previous sentence describing something else Alice didn't know).
    #1 means Alice doesn't know what latitude and longitude are.

Both sentences refer to latitude and longitude as concepts. If you want to say Alice doesn't know where she is in terms of latitude and longitude, you need to say 'her latitude and longitude' or 'her latitude' and 'her longitude' (but you might be able to omit the second 'her' even if you don't write 'latitude and longitude'.

[cross-posted]

Edit: both Glasguensis and I are right regarding #3, though we picked up on different meanings. Either is possible.

Further edit: Glasguensis' is better than mine, since my usage really requires 'were', not 'was'.

moseen

Farsi
    In 1 the either applies to latitude and longitude. In 3 it applies to Alice and some previously mentioned person(s).
    It is unlikely you actually mean #3 (which refers back to a previous sentence describing something else Alice didn't know).
    #1 means Alice doesn't know what latitude and longitude are.

Both sentences refer to latitude and longitude as concepts. If you want to say Alice doesn't know where she is in terms of latitude and longitude, you need to say 'her latitude and longitude' or 'her latitude' and 'her longitude' (but you might be able to omit the second 'her' even if you don't write 'latitude and longitude'.

[cross-posted]

Edit: both Glasguensis and I are right regarding #3, though we picked up on different meanings. Either is possible.

Further edit: Glasguensis' is better than mine, since my usage really requires 'were', not 'was'.
    Thank you so much both.
    I don't understand how 3, it applies to Alice and some previously mentiond person(s). Could you please explain?

< Previous | Next >