What make/brand is your watch?

< Previous | Next >

wolfbm1

Polish
Hello.

1. What make is your watch? ~It's a Rolex.
2. What brand is your watch? ~It's a Rolex.

I wonder if 'make' and 'brand' are interchangeable in those questions.

Thank you.

• Uncle Jack

British English
    I suppose they are interchangeable inasmuch as the name on the dial is as likely to be a brand as a make, but with watches, I think "make" is a lot more common, in BrE at any rate...but I see The Newt says in AmE it is the opposite. :)

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    1. What make is your watch? ~It's a Rolex.
    2. What brand is your watch? ~It's a Rolex.
    I think this may be a BE/AE thing.

I would only say "What make is your watch?" In BE, referring to the brand seems to be over-concerned with fashion, or the ability to afford a status symbol. (And after all, watches are made by watchmakers.)

wolfbm1

Polish
    I found the question in a Polish book of English, which was published in 1985. It was in an additional exercice for the lesson with pictures of different makes of cars, where the main question was "What make is it?"
    "Make" means manufacturer or maker, I guess. I also found a synonym - 'marque'.

Uncle Jack

British English
    I also found a synonym - 'marque'.
    "Marque" was used for cars, particularly at the luxury end of the market, but I doubt it has been current for forty years or more, and "make" is a lot more common, in BrE at any rate. I don't recall "marque" being used for anything other than cars.

wolfbm1

Polish
    Thank you, Uncle Jack. A similar word to 'marque' is in Polish, but in English language 'make' or 'brand' is used more often.

kentix

English - U.S.
    I've never heard anyone commonly use brand for a car in the U.S. In formal-ish situations, it's usually called the "make". For instance, when filling out forms for insurance or repairs, they always ask for the make, model and year.

Toyota / Camry / 2015

In casual conversation it would be normal to ask:

- What kind of car do you have?
    -- I have a Toyota. (Or, I have a Toyota Camry.)

I might hear brand used in a question like "What brand of truck do you prefer?"

There is a big rivalry between owners of Ford pickup trucks and Chevy pickup trucks. But an even more casual way to ask that would be "Are you a Ford guy or a Chevy guy?"

I admit using "make" with a watch sounds pretentious to me. If I can't sit in it and drive it away, it's not a make. Even if it costs the same as a car.;)

ewie

English English
    I would only say "What make is your watch?" In BE, referring to the brand seems to be over-concerned with fashion, or the ability to afford a status symbol. (And after all, watches are made by watchmakers.)
    :thumbsup:

I can say with absolute certainty that I've never used the word marque in my entire life.

Packard

USA, English
    It is not scientific, but a Google search ("Luxury Watches") showed several "brand" references and no "maker" reference that I could see.

30 Top Luxury Watch Brands You Should Know

30 TOP LUXURY WATCH BRANDS YOU SHOULD KNOW

Top 10 Best Luxury Watches for Men Reviewed - Classical Dress Watch Focus - Feb. 2019

Characteristics of a Luxury Watch

A luxury watch is an indication of status as well as a timepiece. In evaluating the top options, the primary characteristics you should consider are:

• Brand
      • Construction quality
      • Features
      • Style and complications
      • Price

< Previous | Next >