What makes you laugh? Cartoon films make us laugh.

marcogaiotto

Italian
What makes you laugh? Cartoon films make us laugh.
Here I am again! I think the question is correct: it's an online exercise, but after I click on "check", they say it is wrong; I can't any mistakes in "What makes you laugh?": do you agree? Thanks a lot in advance!

• lingobingo

English - England
    Who says what is wrong?

If you’re given the answer and have to provide the question (I’m guessing), you might like to note that one is in the second person and one in the first person.

lingobingo

English - England
    Take another look at the point I made in post #2.

Or provide more information. Is it supposed to be a generalisation, or one person asking a question of a number of others?

marcogaiotto

Italian
    So...The answer is "Carton films make us laugh"; "Cartoon films" is underlined, that is, the question has to be referred to it. Therefore the only question can be "what makes you laugh?": is it clearer now?

Myridon

English - US
    So...The answer is "Carton films make us laugh"; "Cartoon films" is underlined, that is, the question has to be referred to it. Therefore the only question can be "what makes you laugh?": is it clearer now?
    Since "us" is not underlined, you should leave it alone. What makes us laugh? is the "correct" answer.

I don't know what the "correct" answer is for 3, 5 or 8, and I'm not even sure what they want for 1.

lingobingo

English - England
    Sorry – I didn’t see that link in #3 before.

My hunch was right and the answer they want is “What makes us laugh?” (as Myridon has already said).

EDIT: I’ve now managed to get all their questions right. :)

marcogaiotto

Italian
    1: Where did Albert meet Sally?
    3: Why can't you come to the party?
    5: Who are you travelling with?
    8: How did you feel after the funeral?

Sorry, but I keep on thinking that "us" can be turned into "you" from a logical point of view:

Mary told US the story ---> Who told YOU the story? ("us" possible)
    What's YOUR name? ---> MY name is Marco (more likely than YOUR name is Marco)

lingobingo

English - England
    Yes, but that’s not the point. In each of those “subject-object questions”, the clue to what question is the answer (so to speak!) lies in what words are underlined in the answer (by which I mean the question). :D

Myridon

English - US
    1: Where did Albert meet Sally?
    "Sally" and "at the station" are underlined in 1, so the question shouldn't have Sally in it.
    3, 5, and 8 don't match the "rule" for 7. Since number 5 is about we and 7 is about us, those two questions at least should have the same pattern, i.e. if both people (the questioner and the answerer) are part of "us", then both people should be part of "we."

lingobingo

English - England
    The difference is that in no. 7 the “us” can be taken to mean people generally, rather than anyone in particular, which does not apply to any of the other questions.

What makes us laugh? — Cartoon films make us laugh.
    =
    What makes people laugh? — Cartoon films make people laugh.

marcogaiotto

Italian
    Excuse, my friends...But if simply "us" didn't involve the one who is making the question, what would you say? The teacher asks the pupils, 'What makes you laugh?', anche they answer, Cartoon films make us laugh. I think it is correct, logical, acceptable. There is an error in 1): Sally shouldn't have been underlined. :):):)

lingobingo

English - England
    All the questions apart from no. 7 are personal ones, relating to specific people. And 3, 5 and 8 are all second-person questions with a first-person answer.

No. 7 is not wrong. It simply differs (rather stupidly) from all the rest in that it has a universal context. The “us” means people in general, as in:

We will all die someday / Banks look after our money / Cartoons make us laugh​

Last edited:

lingobingo

English - England
    Who are you travelling with? is their “correct” answer.

As I said: 3, 5 and 8 are all second-person questions with a first-person answer.

EDIT: By which I mean actual questions and answers, rather than … oh, never mind. :D:D

lingobingo

English - England
    (In case of doubt, what I meant was that with all this questions being answers and vice versa, this thread is beginning to feel like a Two Ronnies sketch! :))

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    After reading the above comments on "you" and "us" in the cartoon films question, I took the test. I scored 1 out of 8...And I'm a native speaker!

For the record, these were my questions:
    1) Did Albert meet Sally at the office?
    2) Did John meet Sally at the station?
    3) Why can't you come to the party? (This is the only one I got right.)
    4) Has your big sister been crying all night?
    5) Are you travelling with your parents?
    6) Will they leave in the afternoon?
    7) Do comic books make us laugh?
    8) Did you feel good after the funeral?

Mind you, if I (we :D ) had been instructed "Make questions to which the following sentences could be answers. Use a 'question word' (who, where, when, why, etc.) in each question.", I would have written different ones :) ;) ...

Last edited:

lingobingo

English - England
    To make it even more daft, if you do get all 8 (not even 9) correct — as I did, eventually! — your score is 81%!

< Previous | Next >