What more do you need / What do you need more

hamlet

Français (FR)
Hi! I was wondering which version you would use. I kind of have the impression the second one ("What do you need more") is not correct and if it actually were the case then there'd be another problem : how would you ask someone what he prefers between two things? Wouldn't you say : "What do you like more?"

Thanks for answering

• maxiogee

Banned
    English
    If I am being asked which of two I prefer then it is "Which do you like more?"
    If I am being asked have I completed my purchases in a shop "What more do you need? (maybe) This expression is usually used in a slightly jocular tone —> "You've got the beer and pizza in, you've got your favourite team playing the worst team in their group, and the telephone is turned off. Kick-off is in two minutes. What more do you need?"

GenJen54

USA - English
    To simplify matters, you could always say: "Do you need anything else," or "What else do you need?"

"What more do you need," while correct, is a bit more formal in register, and if spoken in the right tone, could come of as sarcastic.

"What do you need more?" is incomplete. One could say: "What do you need more of," but only in certain contexts, such as if someone were asking for more of one particular item among many.

Customer: I need a dozen crescent rolls, six cheese danishes, three cherry strudel, and a chocolate cookie.
    Baker: Do you need anything else?
    Customer: No. I think that will do. Wait! I forgot. I need four more?
    Baker: What do you need more of (which of these items).
    Customer: The strudel, please.

What more do you need can also take a different register. I need a moment to think about how to explain it. Ah! Maxiogee beat me to the proverbial punch! (and punch line).

A90Six

England - English.
    "What do you need more?" implies that you are being asked to decide between two or more of your needs to determine which you need more than the orther(s).

"I have £50. I could buy food for the week or a new pair of shoes." "What do you need more, the food or the shoes?"

nycphotography

American English
    Also....

What more do you need = what do you need in additional to the context already established.

what do you need more = what do you need most from within the context of things being discussed.

Example:
    person a: I'm thinking of Joining the club. They waived all the fees and they're giving me a TShirt.
    person b: What more do you need? (to join the club (already))

Example:
    person a: i need some 5 gallons of water and 5 gallons of gas, but I can't carry both.
    person b: what (which) do you need more? (the gas or the water)

viera

English/French/Slovak
    What more do you need is usually spoken in an impatient tone of voice, with emphasis on the word "more". The usual meaning suggests that you already have enough proof of something.

- "That guy's a real brute!"
    - "Oh, I don't know, he seems nice enough."
    - "Didn't you see the way he treated his dog? Not to mention his wife. What more do you need?"