What number child did you give birth to when...?

Camlearner

Khmer
Hi

Mrs. Da has 5 children. In the past she lived in District A. Now she lives in District B. I want to ask when she moved to District B, she gave birth to which child? or how many children already? Can I form my question like this?

What number child did you give birth to when you moved from District A to live in District B here?

Her answer can be:
Oh I have lived here when I gave/give? birth to my child number 3. Which means after moving from District A and now living in Distirct B, she produced 2 more children... I hope my case is clear.

Thanks

• Camlearner

Khmer
    Thanks boozer for your help.

So my question (What number child did you give birth to when you moved from District A to live in District B here?
    ) don't make sense?

This question also just remind me of another question that ask what number are you born in your family among your brothers and sisters? Then I answer: I am number 3 which mean I have 2 older brothers ... Am I right?

Oh..How about? Which child you gave birth to when you live here in District B?

boozer

Bulgarian
    Quite frankly, Cam, I do not know if your original question makes sense. I can only say that I personally would understand it, but it sounds to me clumsy at best.

I would not use your second suggestion either. I could say 'which child' if I had all of her children lined up in front of me and expected her to just point at the child... :(

Camlearner

Khmer
    So does this question (How many children did you have when you moved to District B?) leads to answer like this: I moved here when I gave birth to my child number 3.

Because I think (How many children did you have when you moved to District B?) leads to answer like this: I had 3 children when I moved here.

Camlearner

Khmer
    It does, but ... yes maybe English have different kind of question from my language to get specific answer like my language. In my language, the answer (I have 3 children) and (I gave birth to child number 3) will come from 2 different specific questions that I reveal above.

Thank you boozer for your help.

Hermione Golightly

British English
    I have little familiarity with Asian anything, but I have heard that it is common to refer to children or indeed wives as for example 'number one son'. We don't do this at all in the UK or the USA. We talk about our first child, second child, and so on.

In the situation you describe the question might be 'How many of your children were born after you moved to England?' If Mrs Da has seven children and she answers that two of them were born after she moved to England, you could confirm by saying 'So, your sixth and seventh children were born in England?'

We usually ask How many children do you have? as a general question and we mean living children. How many children have you given birth to? is a different question and I can't recall ever having been asked it. But How many pregnancies have you had? followed by How many live births? or full term births? and similar detailed questions are quite common in medical questionnaires about ob/gyny history.

Hermione

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >