what poor, warped fragment most must be

Fort Lee

Korean
Hi, can someone help me understand the passage below?

------
There is, hidden or flaunted, a sword between the sexes till an entire marriage reconciles them. It is arrogance in us to call frankness, fairness, and chivalry 'masculine' when we see them in a woman; it is arrogance in them to describe a man's sensitiveness or tact or tenderness as 'feminine.' But also what poor, warped fragment of humanity most men and mere women must be to make the implications of that arrogance plausible.
------

I understand the first half of the passage, but the sentence in bold is hard to understand. I know this is an exclamatory sentence, but.. I think it is the exact meaning of 'implications' and 'must be to make'. Frankly, I am not sure I could understand the meaning of this sentence if I could understand the meaning of these words.

But, could someone help me..??

• grassy

Polish
    I think it is the exact meaning of 'implications'
    "Implications" means "things that follow (from that arrogance)". I cannot tell what those things are without more context. Maybe other members can.
    and 'must be to make'.
    You've parsed this wrongly. It's Most men and mere women must be a poor, warped fragment of humanity to make (= given that they make) the implications of that arrogance plausible.

cross-posted

Minnesota Guy

American English - USA
    Elsewhere online, the quotation appears in a slightly different form:

But also what poor, warped fragments of humanity most mere men and mere women must be to make the implications of that arrogance plausible.

In any case, must is used in roughly this way: used to express that logically there is a need for the action or state of the next verb to be true.

lentulax

UK English
    As grassy says, we don't know what the 'implications' are - and I don't think that the larger context spells them out either. In fact, I'm inclined to think that it's a rather sloppy bit of writing (the 'implication of that arrogance' is in fact that most ordinaruy people are warped specimens of humanity) : if you read 'that arrogance' instead of 'the implications of that arrogance', it makes perfect sense (with the meaning that Keith Bradford supplies); as it is, it's far from clear.

Fort Lee

Korean
    Thank everyone who replied!
    With your help, I learned I parsed wrongly about 'must be.. to' part. I thought it was usage of 'be to~'.
    Now it's clear to me. Except, as lentulax put, the meaning of 'implications'. I think grassy is right, but feel the same way as lentulax explained. A rather sloppy bit of writing. I know I should be careful when I talk about someone like C.S. Lewis, especially when I am not a native speaker, but still feel that way.

Thank you again so much.