What role does the 'as' play in this sentence?

< Previous | Next >

Kyle1993

Chinese
Hey, guys! I noticed a sentence yesterday:

This may not match the typical image that most of us have of our early ancestors as rather rough characters wearing animal skins and not very charming.

I understand this sentence can actually be rewritten into this form: This may not match the typical image of our ancestors that most of us have as rather rough characters wearing animal skins and not very charming.

But the 'as' between 'have' and 'rather' confused me because I didn't figure out the role it plays in this sentence and its actual usage. I suppose there's a phrase like "sth as sth", i.e., image as rough characters? From this perspective, as plays a role similar to "of", indicating what the 'image' is.

I'm not a native speaker and I am working on my English learning. I'd be appreciated if you could share your ideas with me! Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
  • Englishmypassion

India - Hindi
    This may not match the typical image (that most of us have of our early ancestors) as rather rough characters wearing animal skins and not very charming.
    This may not match the typical image as rather rough characters wearing animal skins and not very charming. We have that image of them.

< Previous | Next >