what should the students say in this situation?

< Previous | Next >

stephenlearner

Chinese
Hi,

I have a question.

We play a word game. I draw four lines and four columns on the board making a 4*4 table. Then I ask students to guess four words, each of which consists of four letters, for example, the first one is "fall". They only have five tries for each word. If a student says "sand", I circle the letter "a" that appears in my word, and tell the students the letter "a" is in the second position in the word they are guessing about.

Students begin to guess. The first one says "peak". They get the letter a. The second guesses "mark". The third child says "group". Because it is a five-letter word, it is not correct. But it wastes one chance. The other students want to get this chance back. In Chinese they can say a simple sentence. The literal translation is "It doesn't count".

I would like to know if the translation "it doesn't count" natural in English. If not, what would the students in your culture say?

Thank you very much.

• Esca

ATX
    USA - English
    Is this a request or complaint the students are making, or just a comment?
    Something like "That [one] didn't/shouldn't/doesn't count." would sound natural to me, or maybe "Don't count that one!!!"

cubaMania

Sometimes American children will shout out "do-over" to try to get a second chance in some game. But I'm not aware of any American games that actually have this as part of their rules. Kids sometimes try it, though, to see if they can get away with it. A possible reaction could be a shouted "No do-overs!" But groups of kids sometimes make up their own unusual rules.

< Previous | Next >