what step are you at?

celaskon

Slovak
Let's assume that somebody is doing something according to manual consisting of seferal steps numbered for exmaple as: 1., 2., 3., etc.

What question should I use when I want to ask where/on which step he is?
Can I use: "What step are you at?" Maybe: "What point are you at?" Or should be there "which" instead of "what"?

Or is there any more suitable question?

• MuttQuad

English - AmE
    Most people would say something like:

Which step are you at?

What step are you at?

What/which step are you up to?

As is common in English, there are many alternative ways to express the same thing.

beezneez

English - USA
    This is a question that would make a grammar Nazi's head explode. It reminds me of the debate about the phrase, "Where are you at?" ("Where are you?" being the correct phrasing) which is commonly heard, but like fingernails on a chalkboard. Technically, you are not supposed to end a sentence with the word "at" but people do it anyway.

Regardless, it is better to use the word "on," and not "at" in this situation. The student would not answer, "I'm AT step x," she or he would respond, "I'm ON step x."

Egmont

English - U.S.
    There is a very small difference between "at" and "on" in this situation. "On" means that you are somewhere in that step. "At" means that you are about to begin that step.

So, you might say "I was on Step 7 when my computer crashed," or "I'm at Step 7, and I don't know where to find the file it tells me to use."

As a practical matter, 999 people out of 1,000 don't make that distinction. Almost everyone uses the terms to mean the same.

< Previous | Next >