what that meant for one’s eternal salvation

< Previous | Next >

Irelia20150604

Chinese
Hi everyone! I'm not sure about the meaning of the sentence "what that meant for one’s eternal salvation". Could I understand it as "being saved, following Jesus meant (what) for one’s eternal salvation"?

the context is a follows:
===
Growing up in Arkansas, a heavily religious part of the United States, I was always aware of the prevalence and importance of afterlife beliefs. As a child and teenager, I was regularly exposed to religious rhetoric and practices revolving around being saved, following Jesus, and what that meant for one’s eternal salvation. Nevertheless, I came from a fairly secular household, and that, combined with being the skeptic that I am, meant I never fully bought into religion.

source: http://aeon.co/magazine/psychology/is-the-feeling-that-were-immortal-innate/

• velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Yes, "that" refers back to both "being saved" and " following Jesus" ...what being saved and following Jesus meant for one's eternal salvation.

se16teddy

English - England
    Just to elaborate on the syntax: these are all noun phrases following about:
    - being saved (gerund)
    - following Jesus (gerund phrase)
    - what that meant for one's eternal salvation (what here means the consequences which).

Copperknickers

Scotland - Scots and English
    The idea is that one is 'saved' from a life of sin by following the teachings of Jesus, and the reward is that you get eternal salvation in heaven after you die.'Being saved' and 'followng Jesus' are much the same thing, since the one leads necessarily to the other. But it is specifically following Jesus which gives you eternal salvation, in Christian theology if not in the grammar of this particular sentence.

< Previous | Next >