what the bleep are you doing? dude

Siavash2015

Iranian-Persian
Hello dear helpers

In a movie I saw someone saying what the bleep are you doing dude?

I assume it replaces hell/fuck etc
But I'm not sure because I couldn't find it in dictionaries..
Would you please help me with this?
And please tell me whether it's a frequent word or not in everyday English

Thank you all for help in my previous threads:)

• Juhasz

English - United States
    Television censors mask spoken swear words by dubbing over them with a beep. A person who wished to censor herself might jokingly do so by imitating the censors' beep instead of swearing. My Mormon friends (particularly religious and conservative) would frequently do this. In fact, the practice was common enough that eventually, imitating the beep by making a high pitched "beep" or "bleep" noise became unnecessary and in its place, you could simply say "b(l)eep" at a regular pitch and the reference to censorship would be obvious.

A similar practice is saying, "What the eff [in place of 'fuck']?"

Siavash2015

Iranian-Persian
    Television censors mask spoken swear words by dubbing over them with a beep. A person who wished to censor herself might jokingly do so by imitating the censors' beep instead of swearing. My Mormon friends (particularly religious and conservative) would frequently do this. In fact, the practice was common enough that eventually, imitating the beep by making a high pitched "beep" or "bleep" noise became unnecessary and in its place, you could simply say "b(l)eep" at a regular pitch and the reference to censorship would be obvious.

A similar practice is saying, "What the eff [in place of 'fuck']?"
    Thank you very much for your help Johasz:)

< Previous | Next >