what the presumed judgment of the fashion police would be if

< Previous | Next >

Daffodil100

Chinese
The term can sometimes be used in a disparaging sense, holding that the fashion police have a narrow, rigid or uncreative sense of style or propriety, or it can be used with approval of what the presumed judgment of the fashion police would be if present ("Somebody call the fashion police!"), if the speaker believes someone has committed a fashion faux pas.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fashion_police

I am not sure whether I understood the words I hightlighted above. Could someone help me out?

Does it mean if someone has commited a fashion faux pas, fashion police will present the presumed judgement at once?

Thanks!

• owlman5

English-US
    This statement refers to an imaginary group of fashion police. When the writer says "what the presumed judgment of the fashion police would be if present", the writer means: "what the fashion police would say about an item if they actually existed" Because they don't exist, we can only presume what their judgment would be.

Daffodil100

Chinese
    Thank you for your help, Owlman5. I am still not clear about it.

What does "an item" mean in your words? a faux pas?:confused:

owlman5

English-US
    I used "an item" to refer to a piece of clothing. That is what the fashion police would care about.

A "faux pas" means a breach of etiquette, or a gaffe. That is something completely different. :)

< Previous | Next >