What to call detergent for washing things?

< Previous | Next >

EdwinT

Chinese
What is the most commonly used name for the detergent for washing things (e.g., for washing dishes, furniture surface, scrubbing the floor, or for washing just about anything)? Is it called “washing detergent”, “wash-up detergent”, “clearing detergent”, or simply “detergent”?

• perpend

Banned
    American English
    What is the most commonly used name for the detergent for washing things (e.g., for washing dishes, furniture surface, scrubbing the floor, or for washing just about anything)? Is it called “washing detergent”, “wash-up detergent”, “clearing detergent”, or simply “detergent”?
    Your context encompasses many things. Maybe: cleaner

EdwinT

Chinese
    Thanks, I never knew that "cleaner" was a viable word for such a meaning. I always thought it should probably be called "washing detergent". So thank you!

e2efour

UK English
    (In BE) if it's for clothes, we use "liquid detergent". For cleaning surfaces, we have "all-purpose cleaner". The general word would be detergent or cleansing agent, but in shops you buy products for different applications. A washing detergent (for clothes) can be a powder or a liquid.

dadane

English-London
    for washing dishes, furniture surface, scrubbing the floor, or for washing just about anything
    'Cleaner' the best you're going to get, I don't believe there is any other all encompassing term. The exact terms for each of these items varies considerably from one English speaking country to the next.

< Previous | Next >