what to use after seem

< Previous | Next >

xiaozhuzai

Chinese
I am confused which of the followings is grammatically correct sentence?
" I seem confused" or " I seem to be confused?"

• cropje_jnr

English - Australia
    Both are quite correct, although "I seem confused" is closer to describing your appearance (of confusion) than "I seem to be confused", which could instead refer to your personal impression being confused.

In other words, someone else is more likely to say that "you seem confused", whereas you may well say "I seem to be confused".

Dimcl

Canadian English
    I am confused which of the followings is grammatically correct sentence?
    " I seem confused" or " I seem to be confused?"
    Could you please provide some context, as per forum rules, Xiaozhuzai? Both of these sentences are grammatically correct but I find both of them odd as stand-alone sentences because of the first person slant. Why would I, myself, say "I seem confused"? Wouldn't I be more likely to say "I am confused"?

xiaozhuzai

Chinese
    Could you please provide some context, as per forum rules, Xiaozhuzai? Both of these sentences are grammatically correct but I find both of them odd as stand-alone sentences because of the first person slant. Why would I, myself, say "I seem confused"? Wouldn't I be more likely to say "I am confused"?
    the context:
    Clark and Florence Wallace, a husband-and-wife medical team, worked steadily and efficiently through the night, but sipping their coffee the next morning, she noticed that he seemed disoriented.

the correct answer of the sentence correction is:
    as they sipped their coffee the next morning, she noticed that he seemed disoriented.

I picked: sipping their coffee the next morning, he seemed to be disoriented, she noticed. (this is incorrect). I always think that seem is followed by to + verb. please help.

Dreamchaser

Korean (Seoul & Gyeongsang-do)
    If you want to express your emotion or feeling about something that has happened to you, I think either 'I am/got confused' or 'I seem to be confused(seem + to-infinitive)' is better, but if a person or thing gives you an impression, both "seem + to-infinitive" and "seem + adjective is" fine. i.e. She seems happy.

Dimcl

Canadian English
    the context:
    Clark and Florence Wallace, a husband-and-wife medical team, worked steadily and efficiently through the night, but sipping their coffee the next morning, she noticed that he seemed disoriented.

the correct answer of the sentence correction is:
    as they sipped their coffee the next morning, she noticed that he seemed disoriented.

I picked: sipping their coffee the next morning, he seemed to be disoriented, she noticed. (this is incorrect). I always think that seem is followed by to + verb. please help.
    I'm still a little confused by your question but if I understand you right, I'll say that "seemed to be disoriented" isn't wrong. What is wrong in the sentence you drafted is the way you've put the sentence together. You could say "She noticed, as they sipped their coffee the next morning, that he seemed to be disoriented".

I'm sorry if I'm not helping much, Xiaozhuzai, but I'm still confused at the nature of the exercise and exactly what you were supposed to do with it...

< Previous | Next >