what vs which

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by Inusya, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Inusya Member

я не понимаю различие между what and which.
    Пожалуйста, объясните мне кто-нибудь разницу?

I don't understand the difference between what and which.
    Could smb explain the difference to me, please?
  2. innessa New Member

Самое простое объяснение выглядит так:
    "which" используется, когда есть выбор: "Which colour should I choose, green or blue?"
    "what" же используется, когда этого выбора совсем нет, либо когда он слишком велик: "What's his favoutite book?"
    Но мне все же кажется, что с этим вопросом лучше обратиться в раздел англ. языка.
  3. Inusya Member

так понятно объяснили) спасибо
  4. innessa New Member

Пожалуйста. выбор, кстати, может лишь подразумеваться.
    например, два человека пришли на футбольный матч и один спросит другого "Which team do you support?" - то есть из двух играющий в тот момент. в обычной же жизни, можно спросить "what" - то есть из всех существующих в мире/стране команд.
  5. Tigrena Member

In my English book I've got the sentence: "In which year were you born?"
    What's the rule for this sentence? Is it about a choice? But there is no choice and there is no contextin the book.
    Could you, please, explain the existance of the two variants:
    When were you born AND
    In which year were you born?
  6. Kirill V.

Kirill V. Senior Member

Moscow, Russia
    As Inessa said, which implies which of a limited number of options.

Since a human being can be only up to (roughly) 100 years old, it is reasoable to ask In which year were you born?.

On the other hand, I guess what could work in a context where the range of options is less certain...:confused: E.g.
    I think he was still alive when the French Revolution happenned. What year was that, by the way? I completely forgot.
    I am not sure, let's see what others feel about it
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  7. Sobakus Senior Member

Прежде всего отмечу, что форумчане на English only гораздо более в состоянии ответить на ваш вопрос. А предложение и впрямь несколько странно звучит, сродни русскому "в котором году..." – я бы вдобавок "in" опустил, иначе звучит так, будто рождение было не мгновенным событием, а продолжительным состоянием.