what vs which

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by Inusya, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Inusya Member

Dreamland
    Russian
    Здраствуйте,
    я не понимаю различие между what and which.
    Пожалуйста, объясните мне кто-нибудь разницу?

Hello,
    I don't understand the difference between what and which.
    Could smb explain the difference to me, please?

2. innessa New Member

Russia
    Russian
    Самое простое объяснение выглядит так:
    "which" используется, когда есть выбор: "Which colour should I choose, green or blue?"
    "what" же используется, когда этого выбора совсем нет, либо когда он слишком велик: "What's his favoutite book?"
    Но мне все же кажется, что с этим вопросом лучше обратиться в раздел англ. языка.

3. Inusya Member

Dreamland
    Russian
    так понятно объяснили) спасибо

4. innessa New Member

Russia
    Russian
    Пожалуйста. выбор, кстати, может лишь подразумеваться.
    например, два человека пришли на футбольный матч и один спросит другого "Which team do you support?" - то есть из двух играющий в тот момент. в обычной же жизни, можно спросить "what" - то есть из всех существующих в мире/стране команд.

5. Tigrena Member

Russia
    Russian
    In my English book I've got the sentence: "In which year were you born?"
    What's the rule for this sentence? Is it about a choice? But there is no choice and there is no contextin the book.
    Could you, please, explain the existance of the two variants:
    When were you born AND
    In which year were you born?

6. Kirill V.

Kirill V. Senior Member

Moscow, Russia
    Russian
    As Inessa said, which implies which of a limited number of options.

Since a human being can be only up to (roughly) 100 years old, it is reasoable to ask In which year were you born?.

On the other hand, I guess what could work in a context where the range of options is less certain...:confused: E.g.
    I think he was still alive when the French Revolution happenned. What year was that, by the way? I completely forgot.
    I am not sure, let's see what others feel about it

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  7. Sobakus Senior Member

Прежде всего отмечу, что форумчане на English only гораздо более в состоянии ответить на ваш вопрос. А предложение и впрямь несколько странно звучит, сродни русскому "в котором году..." – я бы вдобавок "in" опустил, иначе звучит так, будто рождение было не мгновенным событием, а продолжительным состоянием.