What was [abbreviation?]

GinoEng

Russian/Romanian - bilingual
Hello all again,
when I ask someone about his business in some particular cities I'm used to tell him : what's your business in there? But if I want to ask him about his business in the past, what is the right abbreviation of what was your business in there?

• neal41

USA, English
    Hello all again,
    when I ask someone about his business in some particular cities I'm used to tell him asking him : what's your business in there? But if I want to ask him about his business in the past, what is the right abbreviation of what was your business in there?
    What's is the contraction of What is. It is not an abbreviation. There is no contraction for what was.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    P.S.: "In" is incorrect. "What's your business there?" (not "in there"). Use "in" only if you are naming the city: "What's your business in Moscow?"

neal41

USA, English
    P.S.: "In" is incorrect. "What's your business there?" (not "in there"). Use "in" only if you are naming the city: "What's your business in Moscow?"
    I know that it is possible to strike through text by putting a line through it, but I can't figure out how to do it. That's why I underlined 'in'. <<-->>

Last edited by a moderator:
    < Previous | Next >