What was the name of the city and street where you grew up? I'm just curious!

Gorak55

English
I need the title translated in Dutch, particular spoken in Netherlands. I attempted it bunch of times and this is what I ended up with -

"Wat was de naam van de stad en straat waar je opgroeide? ik ben gewoon nieuwsgierig"

Is this right translation? Could you kind people please help me out in English(I'm still a very early beginner in learning Dutch)? Thanks in advance.

• Peterdg

Dutch - Belgium
    Perfect!

I would only repeat "van de" before "straat" but that's a minor detail. (so: "Wat was de naam van de stad en van de straat waar je opgroeide? ik ben gewoon nieuwsgierig" )

PS. Welcome to the forums.

eno2

Dutch-Flemish
    "Wat was de naam van de stad en straat waar je opgroeide? ik ben gewoon nieuwsgierig"
    "Wat waren de namen van stad en straat waar je opgroeide? ik ben gewoon nieuwsgierig"
    "Wat was de naam van de stad en van straat waar je opgroeide? ik ben gewoon nieuwsgierig"
    "Wat was de naam van de stad en straat waar je opgegroeid bent ? ik ben gewoon nieuwsgierig"

to me are all OK.

Of course in a longer summery the article would get dropped more easily

"Wat waren de namen van land, stad , en straat waar je opgroeide? ik ben gewoon nieuwsgierig"

There is perhaps more to say about the use of singular or plural, possibly in relation to using or dropping or repeating the article.

Last edited:

Leritu

Dutch - Netherlands
    I agree with what has been said above, however, I think all are quite literal translations from English and not really natural Dutch sentences.

If you want a more smooth translation, I would go for:

In welke stad en straat ben je opgegroeid? Ik ben gewoon nieuwsgierig!
    (Literally: In which city and street did you grow up? I'm just curious!)

jacobvanoppen

dutch
    Het is allemaal goed, maar dit is misschien het 'gewoonste' Nederlands:
    Hoe heten (of hoe heet) de stad en de straat waar je bent opgegroeid?
    (literally: How's the city and the street called where you grew up)

< Previous | Next >