What was to be their hope became their doom.

< Previous | Next >

Pavel Pin

Telugu
Bowen thinks hated one dragon cause it polluted Einon's heart. So Draco a dragon asked him about his hated dragon looked like:

Bowen: He only had half a heart. But even that was enough to pollute an innocent boy.

Draco: Einon was no innocent! He polluted the heart!

Bowen: How do you know that? How do you know that, Dragon?

Draco: All dragons know that story. What was to be their hope became their doom.

What is the meaning of "What was to be their hope became their doom"?

Does it mean "only hated dragon became their doom"?

Source: Dragonheart 1996

Last edited:
  • suzi br

English / England
    You need to look at your introduction to this. I cannot easily tell what mistakes you’ve made, so I cannot understand it. That means that the context is unclear and hard to answer.
    If you edit your text it might help us to help you.

Andygc

British English
    You need to look at your introduction to this.
    Just in case you aren't entirely clear what suzi is referring to, it's this:
    Bowen thinks hated one dragon cause it polluted Einon's heart. So Draco a dragon asked him about his hated dragon looked like:
    I can understand that you have written "cause" when you should have written "because", but otherwise, I'm sorry to have to say, your sentence is unintelligible.

manfy

German - Austria
    Agreed! Rephrasing your question would certainly help, but ultimately you need to watch the movie to get an idea of the background story.

Unbeknownst to Bowen (the knight), Draco is that one hated dragon who sacrificed half of his heart in order to save the boy Einon from sure death. Draco did this hoping that Einon would grow up to become a peaceful and just king, which in turn would have allowed the few remaining dragons to live in peace and harmony with mankind.
    So, Draco is projecting his own hope onto all other remaining dragons (at that time!) by saying "What was to be their hope became their doom.", i.e. "What was to be the dragons' hope for peaceful coexistence with humans became their doom."
    I'm not quite sure why, how, if it became their doom, but well, Hollywood tends to overdramatize such things occasionally...!

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Or
    "The thing that was intended to be/should have been the dragons' hope for peaceful coexistence with humans became their doom."

< Previous | Next >