What we were trying, what we should be doing, do you really think you should be having a second glas

< Previous | Next >

sobhan

Persian
The thing about being barren is that you’re not allowed to get away from it. <-----Excess quote removed by moderator (Florentia52)-----> At some point our childlessness became an acceptable topic of Sunday-lunch conversation, not just between Tom and me, but more generally. What we were trying, what we should be doing, do you really think you should be having a second glass of wine? I was still young, there was still plenty of time, but failure cloaked me like a mantle, it overwhelmed me, dragged me under, and I gave up hope.

What does "What we were trying, what we should be doing, do you really think you should be having a second glass of wine?" mean?

Source: The Girl On The Train, Paula Hawkins

Last edited by a moderator:
  • joanvillafane

U.S. English
    People were giving her (and Tom, I guess her husband?) advice about how to get pregnant - what they should be trying/doing to get pregnant. I guess someone thought that drinking wine might prevent pregnancy????

sobhan

Persian
    People were giving her (and Tom, I guess her husband?) advice about how to get pregnant - what they should be trying/doing to get pregnant. I guess someone thought that drinking wine might prevent pregnancy????
    Yeah, Tom was her husband. I dont know about the last part. maybe not

< Previous | Next >