What were you doing/What did you do yesterday all day

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    No. "All day" is an adverbial phrase, = for the whole day, and needs to follow its verb:

What were you doing all day yesterday.

or

What did you do all day yesterday.

Both are considered informal/colloquial.

Englishisgreat

German
    Thank you PaulQ.

And can you say: What were you doing at 6 o'clock yesterday evening or What were you doing yesterday evening at 6 o'clock?

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    I think that the word order will depend on the context rather than which appears more frequently.

A: What were you doing yesterday evening?
    B: I was watching TV.
    A: "What time was that?"
    B: "Seven o'clock."
    A: "What were you doing yesterday evening at 6 o'clock?" - the emphasis contrasts with "seven o'clock."

A: "What were you doing at 6 o'clock yesterday evening?" - This is a precise question.

Wordy McWordface

English - SSBE Standard British
    I think that the word order will depend on the context rather than which appears more frequently.

A: What were you doing yesterday evening?
    B: I was watching TV.
    A: "What time was that?"
    B: "Seven o'clock."
    A: "What were you doing yesterday evening at 6 o'clock?" - the emphasis contrasts with "seven o'clock."

A: "What were you doing at 6 o'clock yesterday evening?" - This is a precise question.
    Agreed. I was thinking of police interrogations :)

Englishisgreat

German
    Many thanks for your feedback.

It also depends on the question you make to answer with Past Continuous or Simple Past.

What were you doing last night?

I was walking in the park last night.

What did you do last night?

I walked in the park last night.

I think both are correct, but the structure with Past continuous is more common in Spoken English, isn't it ?

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    the past continuous is more common in Spoken English, isn't it ?
    I suspect that it is. It is a useful form of the verb as (i) it gives an immediacy to the words spoken (ii) it allows a second action to take place at the same time, e.g. "I was watching the TV when he came in."