What will bring a cry

Tyrion Lann

INDIA -Hindi
Hello folks.

I was trying to write some rhymes.

And wanted to write "what does cry bring", and I want to use cry at the end. If I say "what will bring cry" it would be wrong because cry has become an object here.
If I say " what will do cry" in that particular case it became a subject but I missed the world "bring".
Is there any way in which subject can be placed at the end of the phrase?
Thanks.

• Language Hound

American English
    Do you perhaps mean "What does crying bring?"/"What will bring tears?
    Please clarify what your intended meaning is. It is not at all clear to me.

Hermione Golightly

British English
    Could you please explain what you want to say because I don't know for sure from the suggestions so far.
    Possible explanations might be 'What's the use of crying?' or 'What makes you cry?'

Cenzontle

English, U.S.
    The noun "cry" has two possible meanings: a loud shout, or a period of weeping.
    Your context may make it clear, I don't know.
    If your question is a rhetorical question (meaning "a cry won't bring anything"),
    then, to put "cry" in final position, you might say something like "what good is a cry?"

Tyrion Lann

INDIA -Hindi
    Well, I didn't want to write it completely , but it's okay.

What will do a cry ? If your all tears get dry .

In that sense I want to use the word" bring".

Last edited by a moderator:

AngelEyes

English - United States
    Language Hound is correct. You want to use the gerund form of cry, apparently. Crying would then be the correct word. However, what's making this confusing is that you're also using the verb bring in your sentence. That makes no sense in AE. Are you trying to say, "What good does crying do?"

That's understandable. Also, a noun that's closely connected to crying, which might also serve you here, is tears.

Whether you use crying or tears, though, neither work well unless you add something like "What relief does crying bring?"

Definition of GERUND

Cenzontle

English, U.S.
    What will it bring, a cry?
    In writing, without the tone of voice, this could be ambiguous.
    "A cry" with falling tone: clarifying that "it" is a cry.
    "A cry" with rising tone: "A cry" is a suggested answer to the question (compare "What day is this, Saturday?").
    I agree with AngelEyes that "a good cry" jibes with the meaning of weeping (and not the loud shout);
    a good way to break the ambiguity.
    "What good is a cry?" is a rhetorical question, meaning "A cry is useless". "What good is X?" = "X is useless."

Tyrion Lann

INDIA -Hindi
    What good is it to cry ? Give me a sense of what is the point of crying? On the other hand, I wanted to say "if your all tears get dry, what will come out of your eyes when you cry".

Cenzontle

English, U.S.
    "Get dry", "go dry",... different verbs have been mentioned.
    If you are talking about a source (the tear ducts) that no longer produces, then your tears run dry.

< Previous | Next >