What's a one word synonym for "will be?"

clandry

Banned
American English
I'm trying to write in a more succint way.

I commonly use phrases like "It will be a good opportunity."

Is there a one word replacement for "will be?"

I can't say "It is a good opportunity" because I want to to mean the opportunity is in the future.

• theartichoke

English - Canada
    I don't think you can get more succinct than "It will be a good opportunity" without losing clarity or accuracy, which in my view, are even more important than succinctness.

wandle

English - British
    I'm trying to write in a more succint way.
    Please don't overdo it.
    Is there a one word replacement for "will be?"
    No. However, in English the present tense is often used in reference to the future: for example, 'Tomorrow is Monday'.
    This depends on the context making it clear that the reference is to the future: the present tense on its own is not enough.

The word 'opportunity' has a sense of futurity about it, because it indicates potential.
    If you say 'This is a good opportunity' the sense is: if you use it wisely, the result will be good.

Last edited:

flangee

English
    Please don't overdo it.
    No. However, in English the present tense is often used in reference to the future: for example, 'Tomorrow is Monday'.
    This depends on the context making it clear that the reference is to the future: the present tense on its own is not enough.
    Actually their is. You can use the word inevitable.
    Boom.

wandle

English - British
    Actually their is. You can use the word inevitable.
    Boom.
    As a substitute for 'will be'? Let us try the replacement:

before: 'It will be Sunday tomorrow'; after: 'It inevitable Sunday tomorrow'.

This does not seem right, somehow.

< Previous | Next >