what's sexy to one person is a slippery elbow in the face to someone else

< Previous | Next >

Morecoffee

Chinese
A man is looking for sheets at a mall. When he meets a saleswoman, he asks her
"Is this the sexy sheets section?" (I think he might be interested in that salewoman)
Then the woman goes "This is the satin section. What's sexy to one person is a slippery elbow in the face to someone else"
I don't understand "a sllippery elbow in the face to someone". Is this a set phrase? But I couldn't find this expression in the dictionary?
Thanks

• Hermione Golightly

British English
    If it is a set phrase it's not one I know, but I'll use it if anybody tries talking to me about sexy sheets. ;) Satin is slippery and satin sheets are a pain in the neck because they slide off the bed although I don't suppose that's relevant here.
    She objects to his asking for 'sexy sheets'. She could have said "you'll get a slippery slap on the face" but getting an elbow in the face is sometimes what happens accidentally when sharing a bed.
    It's an adaptation of sayings like 'One man's meat is another man's poison' meaning that some people like the things that other people hate.

We don't know when this incident is supposed to have happened. Is it from some show? Please give us a source every time you post. I find it very hard to imagine it really would happen. Perhaps it's just a joke or wisecrack.

Morecoffee

Chinese
    Hi, hermione. This is from an American TV show "Mistress". The woman and the man both installed a app on their phones and the phone will sound every time two singal people are close. Like "oh , baby". But the woman didn't know she had an app like this on her phone(her girlfriend installed it secretly). So she wondered where the sound came from. Then that man was staring at her , so she thought the man was the one who said "oh baby" to her. Actually it was her phone. So she came up and asked him"Did you talk to me?" then "is the sexy sheets section?" etc...
    Sorry for lack of sourses:)

Truffula

English - USA
    So, as Hermione says, it's not a set phrase. It means something like: "Satin sheets may seem sexy to you, but to me, satin sheets seem like a way to get an elbow in the face" (which is not sexy).

Hermione Golightly

British English
    Thank you for the explanation. I had a good laugh. In my reply I forgot to mention the main point :oops: , that satin, especially satin garments, is supposed to be luxurious and sexy, the way the light falls on it creating contrast in form.
    I really can't see how satin sheets per se are a way to get "an elbow in the face". Talking about them as 'sexy' to the saleswoman might get you a metaphorical elbow. I confess I can't talk from either experience of satin sheets or being a saleswoman.
    I do think the whole incident with the apps is very funny and I must see if this show is on UK TV or on YouTube.

Truffula

English - USA
    As I imagine it, the sales woman had an experience where she was in a satin sheeted bed with someone, and got an elbow in the face because the person in bed with her slipped on the satin sheets.

theartichoke

English - Canada
    As I imagine it, the sales woman had an experience where she was in a satin sheeted bed with someone, and got an elbow in the face because the person in bed with her slipped on the satin sheets.
    Yes, I imagined it exactly the same way.:D I hate slippery sheets.

< Previous | Next >