What's the difference between "___ ister misin" and "___ istiyor musun"?

JGIC

English
It seems to me that "___ ister misin" is more along the lines of "would you like to ___" and "___ istiyor musun" means something like "do you want to ___", but I can't tell.

• JGIC

English
    Thanks! That explains it. Is there any subtle difference if I make an offer to do something in the future? For example, I want to invite a friend to meet up tomorrow. Is there any small difference in meaning between these phrases?
    • Yarın buluşmak istiyor musun?
    • Yarın buluşmak ister misin?

CHovek

Turkish
    "Yarın buluşmak ister misin?" is more of hypothetical state while the former{istiyor musun} is a question preceded by a offer, talk etc...

SezinS

Turkish
    There's a subtle difference.
    We use both in daily conversations for the same purpose, so the difference has become almost invisible.
    But i'll try to explain... In Turkish, 'you' refers both sen (informal) and siz (formal).
    For both case:
    a) In an informal speech, ('you' refers to sen), both tenses refer to the same meaning and almost have the same tone. But 'ister misin' is a tiny bit more polite and cool way of asking.
    b) In a formal speech, ('you' refers to siz), we better prefer simple present tense (ister misin).
    ex: When a secretary relays a statement of his/her boss to you, she says: "Ahmet Bey görüşmek sizinle isterler." You see? "Ahmet Bey sizinle görüşmek istiyor" sounds like 'he wants it right now and sounds unpolite.

With my best regards

< Previous | Next >