What's the difference between "betrothed","intended"and "affianced"?

< Previous | Next >

jackie2jet

chinese
What's the difference between "betrothed","intended"and "affianced"?
And are there any other words or phrases related to this topic?

Last edited:
  • Hermione Golightly

British English
    We need sentences to show intended use - as nouns or adjectives for example - and we can't provide general lists. All these words are old-fashioned and are unlikely to be used at all in modern speech.

jackie2jet

chinese
    We need sentences to show intended use - as nouns or adjectives for example- and we can't provide general lists. All these words are old-fashioned and are unlikely to be used at all in modern speech.
    It's been used in The Lion King where zazu introduced these words to little Sinba and Nala,the sentence is
    "be what?"
    "betrothed,intended affianced"
    "meaning..."

Hermione Golightly

British English
    Thank you for the source. They do all mean the same and I sppose they are being used as nouns if somebody's being introduced. 'Please meet my betrothed, ... '. They are not exact synonyms.
    I have noticed that Disney animals speak strange English.
    They all refer to a person who's engaged to be married.
    These days the usual word is fiancé for a man and fiancée for a woman. They are French words, both pronounced [fee-ON-say].

jackie2jet

chinese
    Thank you for the source. They do all mean the same and I sppose they are being used as nouns if somebody's being introduced. 'Please meet my betrothed, ... '. They are not exact synonyms.
    I have noticed that Disney animals speak strange English.
    They all refer to a person who's engaged to be married.
    These days the usual word is fiancé for a man and fiancée for a woman. They are French words, both pronounced [fee-ON-say].
    Thanks for your reply!:)

< Previous | Next >