What's the difference between" covers, blanket,quilt"?

cmkitty

chinese
Hi!What's the difference between" covers, blanket,quilt"? and should they be used in plural forms? Thanks a lot!

• DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    They're all different types of bedclothes, "covers" being the most generic term. A Google image search is probably the simplest way of finding out what they look like and what the differences in appearance are. You can have plurals of "blanket" and "quilt": "[bed]covers" is plural to start off with.

cmkitty

chinese
    Thanks. But Google is not available in China. I tried to search from dictionaries,yet they mean pretty much the same from what I have read.

Andygc

British English
    If you look in the Wordreference dictionary for quilt and blanket you will find that they have clearly different meanings. A "bed cover" or "bed covering" is a non-specific term which includes quilts and blankets.

cmkitty

chinese
    Thanks. I checked them up on your advice. This is my understanding :" a quilt has to be stitched, and has some soft substance between two layers; while a blanket has just one layer, nothing in between." Am I right? Must blankets be thinner than quilts? Thanks so much!

Andygc

British English
    Not in my bedroom ... I have blankets thicker than my quilts. :)
    Hmm. OK, but what's the point of a quilt that's thinner than a blanket? However, the point about the meaning doesn't change. A blanket is a single thickness of woven or knitted fabric, and a quilt is two thicknesses of fabric with a layer of some sort of filling between them, all stitched together.

suzi br

English / England
    Not in my bedroom ... I have blankets thicker than my quilts. :)
    This is not common, though. In any shop / bedroom I've ever been in the blankets are thinner than the quilts.
    Blankets are generally made of warm fabrics, wool, mainly, or stuff that imitates the qualities of wool in terms of weight and warmth.
    Quilts are often made of thinner fabrics, such as cotton or satin - but their three layer nature, with some padding in between the two external layers they get greater thickness and warmth. In a traditional bed you put a (cotton) sheet nearest your body, then layer up blankets and top it off with the quilt which will be the most decorated item on the bed.

We also call the European duvet a quilt in the UK. these can be used with covers which are washable instead of sheets and blankets.

< Previous | Next >