What's the female vis-a-vis for heartthrob?

• owlman5

English-US
    We often call a female "heartthrob" by the name of "femme fatale". Here's M-W's definition: 2 : a woman who attracts men by an aura of charm and mystery <vying for the attention of a young femme fatale -- E.D.Radin>

kitenok

Hi Daffodil,

Owlman's suggestion of "femme fatale" certainly expresses attractiveness, but I personally don't think that the word "heartthrob" has any of the connotations of danger that the expression "femme fatale" has (see, e.g., the WordReference definition: "a woman who is considered to be dangerously seductive"). Additionally, a "femme fatale" need not be famous or an icon -- she might just be someone you know. I might suggest bombshell as an alternative.

kitenok

Contemporary usage: A hottie
    In the interest of full disclosure, Daffodil: Hottie can be used to refer to anyone, famous or not, male or female, who is exceptionally attractive. It might work in your context, but it is not a word that is used specifically for a "female icon," as you asked for in the original post.

Packard

USA, English
    In the interest of full disclosure, Daffodil: Hottie can be used to refer to anyone, famous or not, male or female, who is exceptionally attractive. It might work in your context, but it is not a word that is used specifically for a "female icon," as you asked for in the original post.
    Yes, I agree. My "hottie" might not be the best choice.

Daffodil100

Chinese
    Kitenok and Packard, thank you for your replies.

Kitenok, your point was what I thought about when I read Owlman5's reply. I had learned femme fatale previously from a report which described French First Lady Carla as "femme fatale". Yes, I thought it is a disapproving word for a pretty woman according to my dictionary as you stated it, but I had thought maybe the dictionary doesn't clarify it completely, so I didn't ask it further. Many thanks again. :)

< Previous | Next >