What's the humorous way to say belly fat that appears a little bit?

flowersophy

Chinese-China
Hi,

There are many expressions in English to describe belly fat such as beer belly, potbelly and so on, but I don't know how to say it in English if one's belly fat (especially mid-aged people's belly fat) appears a little bit. I only know we Chinese call it <-----Chinese phrase removed by moderator (Florentia52)----->. (It is a humorous expression in Chinese.) <...>

Please help me! Thank you so much!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • flowersophy

Chinese-China
    According to the suggestions here, love handle, spare tyre, muffin top are all acceptable terms. But I am not sure whether they are offensive on some occasions.:confused:

Copyright

American English
    According to the suggestions here, love handle, spare tyre, muffin top are all acceptable terms. But I am not sure whether they are offensive on some occasions.:confused:
    It's love handles, plural – one on each side of the stomach. Please see Barque's thread link in post 4 for more.

Spare tire (AE) and spare tyre (BE) is common and pretty much everyone knows the expression.
    Muffin top refers to the belly fat that squeezes up and over the top of tight trousers or shorts.

None of them is offensive if said to the right people in the right tone. They're all rather light-hearted.

flowersophy

Chinese-China
    It's love handles, plural – one on each side of the stomach. Please see Barque's thread link in post 4 for more.

Spare tire (AE) and spare tyre (BE) is common and pretty much everyone knows the expression.
    Muffin top refers to the belly fat that squeezes up and over the top of tight trousers or shorts.

None of them is offensive if said to the right people in the right tone. They're all rather light-hearted.
    I see. Thank you for your clear explanation! Some English idioms and terms are very interesting!

< Previous | Next >