What's the name of the person supported by a patron?

< Previous | Next >
  • Egmont

English - U.S.
    In general, the only words I can think of are beneficiary and protegé. There are other words that apply to specific types of patronage. What sort of patron did you have in mind?

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    There probably is no word for it in English. "Patron" probably comes from Italian "patron", so perhaps Italian has a word for the receiver.

Note that hundreds of years ago it was common for a rich person (or royalty) to be patron to an individual person (an artist, a scientist). Nowadays it is not. Nowadays most "patrons" are patrons of the arts or of charities: the money is given to organizations (not individuals) that help artists, help the poor and needy, etc.

These organizations are called "charities" and "foundations" and "non-profit organizations".

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    A mentor supports a mentee
    No. "Mentor" does not derive from a Norman French verb the way, for example, grantor and grantee do. "Mentor" is the name of a character in the Odyssey of Homer. Odysseus arranges for his friend Mentor to take care of his son Telemachus when Odysseus goes off to fight in the Trojan War. The silly and ugly modern word "mentee" is an ignorant and unjustified back-formation.

A patron supports a ... (patronee ???)
    In ancient Rome, he supported a "client", but that was not the relationship you have in mind.
    If you are speaking of the arts, you would simply say a painter or a composer had (for example) Louis XIV as his patron. For a more social relationship, I agree with Loob's suggestion of protégé.

waylander

Italian Italy
    Protégé sounds perfect. Thanks Egmont !!!

In general, the only words I can think of are beneficiary and protegé. There are other words that apply to specific types of patronage. What sort of patron did you have in mind?
    Protégé yessssss! Thanks

I'm not sure - maybe a protégé?

EDIT: cross-posted:)
    Thanks. I am actually organizing a Patron Program where companies or wealthy individuals pay rent and living cost to young international entrepreneurs. In my specific case it's a payment to a person not a charity.

The company StartupHome.io has already collected 2 sponsorships. I was looking for a definition for brochure and journalists. Protégé is perfect.

I didn't expect a reply so fast. Wordreference has such a great community. Thank you all!

There probably is no word for it in English. "Patron" probably comes from Italian "patron", so perhaps Italian has a word for the receiver.

Note that hundreds of years ago it was common for a rich person (or royalty) to be patron to an individual person (an artist, a scientist). Nowadays it is not. Nowadays most "patrons" are patrons of the arts or of charities: the money is given to organizations (not individuals) that help artists, help the poor and needy, etc.

These organizations are called "charities" and "foundations" and "non-profit organizations".

Last edited by a moderator:
    < Previous | Next >