What's the year in your countries?

• coconutpalm

Chinese,China
    http://xml.ascc.net/en/utf-8/calendar.html
    My English is far limited in this aspect, so I found this link. It's imformative, and perhaps points out something I made a mistake in :D
    The numbers are nothing. Only that 60 years represent a cycle, a belief.
    If this link doesn't fully explain your questions, I will try to find more materials in Chinese, and then try my best to answer your questions.
    coco

Vukabular

Banned
    Serbian
    In Serbia we have 3 calendars. Gregorian as official, Julian use ortodox church and old Serbian calendar which was banned at the end of the 19th century under the pressure of Austro-Hungarians and Germans, it was reintroduced in the mid-20th century but was abolished again after the assassination of Serbian Patriarch Varnava. According to the Serbian calendar now is year 7528. The year has two seasons summer and winter divided by equinoxes. The oldest writen record of the Serbian calendar is from the 6th century. At that time, letters were used instead of numbers and two dots were placed above the letters that represented numbers. To distinguish numbers from the date before the date a arc-shaped symbol with two crosslines was placed (galactic arc with two seasons). In the Serbs, there is a custom for holidays Christmas, Easter, Slava (patrons day) when a special kind of ritual bread we call "kolač" is prepared. "Kolač" is a word derived from "kolo" meaning wheel and represents the annual circle. On the upper side of the "kolač" is a Celtic-like cross representing the equinoxes and soltices. The old Serbian name for December is "Koledar" and for Christmas "Koledo". Koledo is one of the pre-Christian deities and we belive that he gave us calendar (kalendar). Koledar literally means gift from Kolo "wheel, circle"...

Awwal12

Russian
    Even the Russian Orthodox Church uses the Gregorian calendar - it simply shifts the dates of all the special days so that they fit the old Julian one.

apmoy70

Greek
    If we were still following the ancient Attic calendar, then 2020 would have been "4th year of the 699th Olympiad"
    If we were still following the mediaeval Byzantine calendar, then 2020 would have been "Year 7530 since the creation of the universe"

Doraemon-

"Spanish - Spain" "Catalan - Valencia"
    Santa Claus is St Nicolas undercover :D ;)
    Santa Claus < From the Dutch folk tale of Sinterklaas based on the historical figure Saint Nicholas, a bishop from Myra in Asia Minor.
    Yes, the name of Santa Claus comes from Saint Nicholas (Sinterklaas) . But Dutch Sinterklaas/Saint Nicholas' day (as anywhere else) is 6th december, not Christmas. Santa Claus is actually German Weihnachtsmann (and other similar traditions as Finnish Joulupukki), which has been renamed to another different man/tradition in the US.
    What Natasha says is that their original and traditional St. Nicholas (not a fat man, which comes with presents on 6th December) is being replaced by the fat man coming in Christmas.

Zareza

Romanian
    In Romania Saint Nicholas comes with presents on 6th of December (his feast day) and Moș Crăciun comes with presents on 25th of December (on Christmas).

< Previous | Next >