What's up with you Vs what's got into you

Tsz Long Ng

Cantonese, Hong Kong
Do both "what's up with you" and "what has got into you" mean "what's wrong with you"? Are there any significant differences between the above two phrases?

• Myridon

English - US
    "What's up with you?" can also be used as a conversation starter much like "How are you doing?", "What's happening?", "What's going on?
    "What's got into you?" can also be used to mean "Why are you so excited/energetic/different today?"

lingobingo

English - England
    I’d say there’s a slight nuance, but nothing much.

What’s got into you? — Why are you behaving weirdly all of a sudden? This isn’t like you.

What’s up with you? — What’s your problem? What’s happened to make you so crotchety/irritable?

(“What’s up?” as an everyday greeting is much more common in AE than BE, I think.)

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    You have offered no context for this question.

What's up with you?
    - Might be a simple greeting - see post #2
    - Could be in response to some observed behaviour

What has got into you?
    - Definitely not just a greeting.
    - It's an enquiry based on something you did or said that I perceive to be unusual or exceptional in some way - either positive or negative. It expresses more surprise than "What's up with you?"

What's wrong with you?
    - Again, definitely not a greeting.
    - It could be equivalent to "What has got into you?" asked on the basis of something negative.
    - It could also, in specific contexts, be a question about your physical or mental health.

< Previous | Next >