What's your comment/opinion, please

< Previous | Next >

xuliang

Chinese Mandarin
There are two parcels, one already ready, the other to be ready this Sunday. A customer wrote to me and asked me to send these two parcels separatly, sending one yesterday(Friday), and the other in two days, on Sunday.
I thought this was not quite necessary and it cost more money. So yesterday I replied to him "We can send you both of them this Sunday when they are both ready. Because even if I send you the one today, it can only be delivered to your office next Monday. What's your comment/opinion, please".

For the parts in bold, I think it's only suitable in oral English. I want to improve it and use a sentence more natural. "Any comments please let us know" seems stiff. Can you please help.

Thank you.

• xuliang

Chinese Mandarin
    Thank you, Parla and Copyright. By the way, do you agree with me that for the parts in bold in my OP, it's only suitable in oral English.

Thnk you.

Copyright

American English
    I would be more inclined in speech to say, "What do you want to do?" or "What do you think?" But "What is your opinion?" is fine in writing – I wouldn't use the "comment" version. It's not quite right.

sdgraham

USA English
    It seems to me that you are asking for a decision, which is neither a "comment" nor an "opinion," and you are better off asking directly rather than backing into it.

See posts 2 and 3.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >