"What's your suggestion?"

cheshire

Japanese
We are in the middle of a meeting, and now I want to hear her opinions. Can I say the following, or does it sound odd? I'm asking it because one book says this is very rude.

What's your suggestion?

• difficult cuss

English England
    As you want her opinion, why not ask her for that?
    "What's you suggestion?" COULD be said in such a way that it offends, but this is a nuance of the speaker. Off-hand, dismissive etc.
    BUT, if someone asked me the question in a pleasant tone, it would not offend.

AngelEyes

English - United States
    It doesn't seem at all rude to me! It might not be the most concise and clear way to ask it, however.

You might put it this way:

1. I welcome any comments you may have to offer at this time.

2. I'd appreciate any feedback you'd care to make/give. (Either word works here. I'm not telling you to use both of them at the same time.:) )

3. Do you have any suggestions you'd like to offer? I'd appreciate hearing them.

AngelEyes

cheshire

Japanese
    I'm guessing "What's your ...?" type of questions might come off as rude from time to time, might be the point the author was trying to make...am I right?

You need to give further background, because the author could be using this type of question to sound sarcastic or moody, for example if I was trying to come up with an idea for a a group outing and you spoke out saying that you didn't want to go bowling because you hated being in crowded places (not a great example I know, but I can't think of anything else!) I could say, 'Well what's your idea then?'
    This would make me sound as though I was offended at your reply because I thought I had a good idea, and you hadn't come up with a better one.