wheelhouse

< Previous | Next >

lupitsina

rus
Hi guys! Really need your help. I've been watching one show for maybe 2 weeks and there was this conversation: "I love that magazine, but, you know, severed heads and sex issues... it's just not my wheelhouse"
So my question: "what does this expression "it's not my wheelhouse" mean"? Thanks a lot for answering!!)

Edited to add capitals, remove text abbreviations. Cagey, moderator.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • lupitsina

rus
    TV-show Dirt, Courteney Cox starring.

Edited, Cagey, moderator.

morior_invictus

Slovak
    Hi,

"to be in one`s wheelhouse" means "to match one`s interests" (just imagine a baseball batter’s power zone :)), so in your sentence it means:

"...it just does not match my area of interest"

lupitsina

rus
    Ohhh, thanks a lot! now I can calm down. Thanks one more time!!

Edited to correct capitals. Cagey, moderator.

lupitsina

rus
    Yep, thanks. It can make sense.

Edited to correct capitalization and punctuation. Cagey, moderator.

Bridgman

English - United States
    Interesting idiom there. It's a metaphor off another metaphor off of yet another metaphor.

Its original meaning was the section of a ship (aka the bridge) that was, in turn, named after a land-based structure (house).
    Later, it's adopted by baseball journalists to describe "the part of a batter's strike zone most likely to produce a home run." "Strike zone" = area between the batter's knees and the midpoint of their torso.
    Most recently, it has been adopted in business and popular culture to indicate, as others have explained above, an individual's area of skill, preference or influence.

< Previous | Next >