Wheels

spanish19

spanish
Hi!

I have another doubt about the translation I've spoken previously.
It says "to take round Meals on Wheels" and if I translate word by word it has no meaning for me. I suposse it has to do with culture but I have looked for Wheels in some encyclopaedias and I can't understand it neither.
Could you please help me??

Thank you so much!

• panjandrum

Occasional Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    "Meals on Wheels" is a service in the UK that brings hot meals to people who are not able to cook for themselves. I think it is a charity. The meals are delivered by volunteers who drive their own cars, collect a number of meals from a central kitchen and deliver them.

OOPS - sorry, it is not a charity, and not staffed by volunteers.
    CLICK HERE for one of many websites giving more information.

OOPS - sorry again, although it may not always be a charity, it sometimes uses volunteer drivers.
    CLICK HERE for a different website.

Why not CLICK HERE for the Google list I've been looking at.

Dimcl

Canadian English
    "Meals on Wheels" is a service in the UK that brings hot meals to people who are not able to cook for themselves. I think it is a charity. The meals are delivered by volunteers who drive their own cars, collect a number of meals from a central kitchen and deliver them.

OOPS - sorry, it is not a charity, and not staffed by volunteers.
    We have "Meals on Wheels" here in Canada as well and it is, largely, volunteers who make the meal deliveries.

Kelly B

USA English
    The same is true in the US. There is a fee for the meals.
    My grandmother is a volunteer driver.:)

panjandrum

Occasional Moderator
    We have "Meals on Wheels" here in Canada as well and it is, largely, volunteers who make the meal deliveries.
    :)
    If there is no direct equivalent to this service wherever spanish19 lives, or in Spanish, it might be better not to attempt a translation.

spanish19

spanish
    thank you very much!
    I was becoming crazy because I didn't understand it. So if someone takes round Meals on Wheels means that he/she drives and provides food for the needy?

panjandrum

Occasional Moderator
    In the UK Meals on Wheel service, the food is prepared by a central kitchen - perhaps a kitchen that also prepares hospital meals.

Who is entitled to these? Here is one answer, taken from one website.
    You may be eligible for a meal provided that you live in the borough of North Tyneside and:
    > you living in your own home and unable to obtain at least one cooked meal each day by any other means;
    > you are unable to prepare your own meals due to disability or illness;
    > you are recovering from an operation or illness and require temporary help;
    > you do not meet the above criteria, but under certain circumstances would benefit from the service.
    The volunteer driver collects a small number of meals and delivers them. They usually use their own cars, but THIS ONE has a more healthy vehicle.

The service is not always provided by volunteers.

< Previous | Next >