when a fuse is cut/torn/broken/melt

  • Cagey

    post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I only have heard about fuses that "blow". However, we have some fuses that are switches that pop up to break the circuit when there is an overload. Perhaps that is what people are talking about when they say that a fuse "popped".

    (You have to close the switches to restore the current.)

    The other kind are little gadgets that you screw in as you do a lightbulb. A filament breaks when they "blow" and you have to replace them.


    Senior Member
    American English (Mostly MidAtlantic)
    If it's a circuit breaker (switch type) we say "it tripped" and has to be reset. If it's the older style (with a piece of lead that melts) we say it blew or has blown.
    < Previous | Next >