When do we (not) use the subjunctive with quizá?

< Previous | Next >

fizzy_soda

English - USA
I always find myself using the present form with quizá even though I have seen it used with the subjunctive. When would I need to use the latter?

One example I am thinking of is: Quizá nunca saben lo que leen...

• Jeromed

Banned
    USA, English
    I always find myself using the present form with quizá even though I have seen it used with the subjunctive. When would I need to use the latter?

One example I am thinking of is: Quizá nunca saben lo que leen...
    Depends on your intended meaning. The indicative communicates more certainty; the subjunctive, more uncertainty.

zuzkita

Spain Spanish
    We normally use "quizá(s)" with the subjunctive, mainly when we want to express possibility, but, sometimes we can use it with the indicative when we it shows a "concessive value".
    For example:
    "Quizás lo he escrito mal, pero es que no soy un experto"- valor concesivo
    "Quizá llueva mañana"-posibilidad
    Maybe it's difficult for a foreigner to understand these two values, I think it's also difficult for us!!!

chicanul

english/spanish
    Hi, A New Reference Grammar of Modern Spanish, (which is an excellent book by the way) says that quizá(s) basically means "perhaps." With this word, when the event referred to is happening in the present or happened in the past, use of the subjunctive is optional. The subjunctive makes the possibility rather weaker:

Tal vez tengamos algo de culpa nosotros mismos = Perhaps we're partly to blame ourselves (using tengamos here is common, to use tenemos would imply that the speaker definitely considers "us" guilty and may have reasons that we are guilty already in mind, and is probably ready to immediately state those reasons following the initial statement "Tal vez tenemos ........")

If th event is still in the future, the present subjunctive, or much less commonly, the future indicative is used, but not the present indicative:

Quizá venga/vendrá mañana (not *viene mañana) = Perhaps she'll come tomorrow

These are just some initial guidelines, read a good grammar book for more....

< Previous | Next >