when do we usa in the word ''that'' as a conjunction?

army1234

Hebrew
<< Topic: when do we usa in the word ''that'' as a conjunction? >>

when we use it as a conjunction?(in the english grammar)
thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Loob

English UK
    Hello army1234 - welcome to the forums!

Can you give us an example of a sentence in which you find the use of "that" confusing?:)

Loob

English UK
    Hello again army1234

"That" isn't a conjunction in your sentence - it's a relative pronoun.

(By the way - the wording should be "helps everyone", not "helps to everyone":).)

army1234

Hebrew
    there are spasiifc rules abust ''that'' as a conjunction?
    ''Answer the question that has asked''
    another example

Loob

English UK
    "That" would also be a relative pronoun there, army1234 - but you would need to add another word:
    ''Answer the question that has been asked''
    =
    ''Answer the question which has been asked''.

I have the horrible feeling I'm not understanding your question:(.

Mahantongo

English (U.S.)
    Why do you think that you need to use it as a conjunction at all? :confused: (And the correct phrase is "thank you.")

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I just want to know when I need to use the word that as a conjunction in a sentence? When? Than you!
    Our dictionary's definitions are often helpful. Enter that in the search box at the top of the page. On the next page look at the definitions of that under CONJ (subordinating) [=Conjunction (subordinating)].

Each of the explanations includes an example sentence.

If you still have questions, you are welcome to ask them. Explain what still puzzles you, so people will know how to help you.

Remember: Always search our dictionary for an answer to your question before you start a new thread. If you still have questions, you are welcome to ask them. Tell us that you have looked in the dictionary and explain why it hasn't answered your question, so people will know how to help you.

army1234

Hebrew
    Because I need to learn the English grammar. Here is a good example which you have written: "Why do you think that you need to use it." Why have you used in the word "that" in this sentence as a conjunction? By the way I have forgotten to write k in the word "thank you".

Loob

English UK
    ... Here is a good example which you have written: "Why do you think that you need to use it." Why have you used in the word "that" in this sentence as a conjunction? ...
    Because it is a conjunction in that sentence.

I'm sorry, army, I still don't understand your question. Are you asking how we can tell whether "that" in a particular sentence is a conjunction or a relative pronoun?

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Army, a conjunction is a word that joins two (or more) sentences or clauses. And, but, or, if, when, etc... and that as well. Does that help?

army1234

Hebrew
    After I have read these rules I have understood!
    Used to introduce a noun clause: I believe that you'll come.
    Also: so that, in order that used to introduce a clause of purpose: they fought that others might have peace.
    Used to introduce a clause of result: he laughed so hard that he cried.
    Used to introduce a clause after an understood sentence expressing desire, indignation, or amazement: oh, that I had never lived!
    Thank to all of you!
    Are these rules Reliable for the English grammar?

Last edited:

Loob

English UK
    Hello again, army1234.

The list in your post 13 looks like a useful summary of the way we use "that" as a conjunction in English:):thumbsup:.

army1234

Hebrew
    But is that list Reliable?
    That was my question:when do we use in the word ''that'' as a conjunction in English grammar?

< Previous | Next >