When do we use the phrase "in the beginning" ?

< Previous | Next >

u-1

Japanese
Hello, everyone.

Thank you so much for always helping me improve my English skills by answering my strange questions here on this website!

I have a question again.

I was wondering if netive speakers ever use the phrase "in the beginning of".

the other day, we were practicing the phrase "at the beginning of " like

At the beginning of April, I have finals.
At the beginning of the party, I have to give a speech.

Then, one of my friends asked us if there is a situation where we have to use "in the beginning of " instead of "at the beginning of ".

Well, we had no idea.

Likewise, are there situations where "in the end of " sounds better than "at the end of"?

Thank you.

• owlman5

English-US
    Hello, U-1. Speaking generally, I'd use "in the beginning" without any additional language in the phrase: In the beginning, life was really tough.

I'd use "at the beginning of XXX" to specify the starting point of a period of time: At the beginning of the Cretaceous, dinosaurs ruled the earth.

I'd use "in the end" in the same way: In the end, it doesn't really matter what you've said and done.
    At the end of the book, the author leaves us with many questions that weren't answered.

Last edited:

Forero

You can say "in the beginning of the book" = "in the book, at the beginning", and if you want to talk about the way things are in April near the first of the month, you can say "in the beginning of April", but for an event occurring early in April, use "at the beginning of April".

"In the beginning of the party" sounds odd to me, as if it meant "when the party was new" = "when parties were first invented".

< Previous | Next >