When-Harry-Met-Sally-inspired

tesoke

USA
Persian
Hi, during the following sentences, from "When women can’t get one-on-one time with their bosses" by Catherine Rampell, I cannot understand the meaning of the red part. Would you please explain it to me. Thanks a lot.

Can men and women ever just be colleagues? This is no When-Harry-Met-Sally-inspired, retrograde hypothetical.

• fiercediva

American English
    In the 1989 movie When Harry Met Sally, Harry initially believes that it's impossible for a man and a woman to just be friends -- even if they both are in relationships with other people -- because the man will always harbor some sexual desire for the woman. Harry and Sally do become longstanding friends, and eventually have to decide whether or not to have sex at the risk of ruining or permanently ending the friendship.

perpend

Banned
    American English
    Hi, during the following sentences, from "When women can’t get one-on-one time with their bosses" by Catherine Rampell, I cannot understand the meaning of the red part. Would you please explain it to me. Thanks a lot.

Can men and women ever just be colleagues? This is no When-Harry-Met-Sally-inspired, retrograde hypothetical.
    Gosh. Great question.

I understand "there is no recreation of the 'When-Harry-Met-Sally'-scenario."

bennymix

I think Fierce answered you, but for more specificity,
    the article's question is 1: "Can women be just employees with their bosses" (i.e. not sex objects).
    The Harry-met-Sally question was 2: "Can a woman and a man be 'just friends'?" (i.e. no sex on either person's mind, no sexual expectations).

So the author is saying that her question (above 1) is NOT just a hypothetical based on resurrecting the old question (2), but is raised because of some current issues that may
    be somewhat different.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >