When he had not been born (prime minister), we had won the war against pakisthan

Kumar80s

Hindi
When he had not been born (prime minister), we had won the war against pakisthan.

Is this sentence correct

Is it possible to rephrase it as: when he was not born/he has not been born, we had won the war against pakistan.

• grassy

Polish
    The sentence doesn't mean anything.
    Are you trying to construct a conditional sentence? If so, you have to use if, not when.

Kumar80s

Hindi
    Hi grassy

I have taken this sentence from an online newspaper. It means the PM was not born when the war had been over. It is not conditional i am trying to create. I dont know the sentence is correct. If not can we rephrase it as i have mentioned.

Last edited:

grassy

Polish
    They are not correct. The concept of "not being born when something else was the case" sounds convoluted in English.
    You can simply say that the PM was born before or after the war with Pakistan.

Hermione Golightly

British English
    Which online newspaper, please?
    To make a good sentence we need to use 'before' and start with the war against Pakistan if I have understood what it is trying to tell us. I don't know how you know what it means! Is it worth rewriting? Probably not when we can't be sure what it means. We don't rewrite sentences usually even for our members'

< Previous | Next >