When I have to use 걸어서, 달려서, 운전해서 or this form?

< Previous | Next >

Pao13

Spanish - Mexico
Hi :) I'm learning Korean but I'm a bit confused, when I have to use, for example "걸어서", "달려서", "운전해서", etc????
I mean this form
걷다 > 걸어요 > 걸어서

I have a sentence:
학교에 걸어서 가요 = I'm walking to school.

My problem is I'm Mexican and I searched it in Spanish but I didn't find something and it's different in English, for example in Spanish is "voy caminando a la escuela", in this sentence we use the verb go + gerund, but when I say it in English is "I'm walking to school" = present progressive (be + gerund), they use the verb to be and I'm use the verb go as in Korean in the example phrase (가다 = 가요).

I decided to search it in English as Korean present progressive but it just confused me more because present progressive in Korean is with 고 있다, which is different from the "서" termination in my example and next the verb could be another one different from "to be". I don't know when or how to use this :( help me, I dunno if my explanation is understandable

• FlairAkvil

Korean
    Hello Pao13! I am a native speaker of Korean. I think I see what you're confused about.
    In the sentence 학교에 걸어서 가요. a progressive form is not used. This sentence is talking about the "method" of getting to school, like "how" you're getting there. It is not translated as "I'm walking to school" but rather "I walk to school" as in "I take the bus to school every day."
    If you want to use a progressive form, you should say "학교에 걸어서 가고 있어요." So, the "고 있다" part comes at the end of the last verb here.
    I hope my answer made sense.

< Previous | Next >