When is the play ...? / When are you putting on ...?

< Previous | Next >

GandalfMB

Bulgarian - Yellow Beach
Hello, dear native speakers,
I think that I will need your help. I am not sure how to ask a question about a stage play. Which of the questions would be most appropriate?
"When is the Shakespeare play going to take place?"
"When will you be putting on the Shakespeare play?"
I am not really sure how to ask that kind of questions and I would be grateful if you could share your opinion on this matter :).

Thank you in advance :)

• owlman5

English-US
    Both your questions look fine to me, GandalfMB.

I'm pretty sure you already know that the second question assumes that the listener is involved in putting on the play. You could use the first question with any listener who knows something about when the play will be presented.

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Yes, I agree with Owlman. How you phrase the question will depend on the amount of shared knowledge with the hearer, and perhaps also how formal you want to sound. I would say the first version is also a little more informal. You can even make it more informal by going for 'When's the Shakespeare happening?' ;)

GandalfMB

Bulgarian - Yellow Beach
    Yes, I agree with Owlman. How you phrase the question will depend on the amount of shared knowledge with the hearer, and perhaps also how formal you want to sound. I would say the first version is also a little more informal. You can even make it more informal by going for 'When's the Shakespeare happening?' ;)
    Thank you, natkretep,
    What would be the most formal version of that question?
    Thank you for your time

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    You will notice that take place is vague, and put on is more specific. You can use a use a word like stage (verb) and it will sound even more formal. (When will the Shakespeare play be staged?​)

< Previous | Next >