"when is the standard?"

nagomi

Korean
In Singapore, early birds get free ride on the metro.

But it should be earlier than 7:30 am

So I asked when is the standard?

I know there's no such an expression, but that's what came to me first.

By standard, I meant when is the time the fare is determined to be free or a normal fare.

can you correct me please?

• nagomi

Korean
    A: In Singapore, early birds ride free on the MRT.

B: Before what time?
    or
    B: What is the cut-off time?
    Thanks, Copyright.
    But actually my question was a little off.

the time limit was already suggested.
    But I wondered which point of use of the metro is the deciding factor for the free service.

for example, it could be when you swipe the card onto the turnstile before going in or out of the platform.

brofeelgood

English, 中文
    A: In Singapore, early birds ride the MRT for free before 7.30am.

B: Does 7.30am apply to the time you tap in or tap out?

Copyright

American English
    Ah, I see ... I thought that was common knowledge, so it didn't occur to me. :)

In my experience, you have to swipe out of the station by that time; otherwise, you could get on the train before 7:30 and stay on as long as you wanted. (In Hong Kong, for example, there are many delivery men who only deliver to MTR stations where they hand things over the rails to recipients inside the station. If rides were free based on the time you get on, they could work the entire day with free transportation.)

More to the point, here was the scoop on an old plan on the MRT in Singapore:
    1. The Land Transport Authority (LTA) will embark on a one-year trial from 24 June 2013 to provide free travel on the rail network for commuters who end their journey before 7.45am on weekdays at 16 designated MRT stations in the city area. In addition, commuters who exit at these stations between 7.45am and 8am will be given a discount of up to 50 cents off their train fare. The Government will be funding this one-year trial.

And here's the latest offer:

Good news! Free early morning MRT rides to 18 designated MRT stations* in the city area before 7.45am on weekdays (excluding public holidays) has been extended till 30 June 2016.

For those who miss the cut-off timing for free travel by a few minutes, you can still enjoy 50 cents off your train fare if you exit at any of the 18 stations* between 7.45am and 8.00am on weekdays (excluding public holidays).

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >